Portland, Oregon has seen a series of Black Live Matter #BLM protests since the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Protests have been happening nightly since May 28th, 2020, with several hundred people arrested. The city was the first in the United States to see a “riot” over the killing of George Floyd, as declared by the Portland Police Bureau (PPB).
Below is a list of resources, broadcasters and livestreams covering the Portland #BLM protests since the death of George Floyd. This is an incomplete list. If you live in Portland, please help us FILL OUT MORE INFO. Please let us know via twitter or in comments additional streams and resources that people have.
To Follow Portland Protests, use:
Police Scanner During Emergenices:
Download APP Scanner Radio if you want to listen yourself.
People to Follow:
As a note. These are citizen journalists. They are funded entirely by viewer donations, to the point where they are buying their own bullet proof vests so they can feel a little bit safer. If you view their streams, or value what they do, think about chipping them a little $$. It goes a long ways.
Don’t feed the trolls. SOL has become one of the main livestreamers of nightly Portland Protests. He provides calm, well balanced, often fairly hilarious coverage of the difference protests, in between 420 / SCUBA breaks.
- Cash app: $BLMxMovement
- Venmo: @BLMxMovement
- PayPal: firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Or Facebook pay
- IG: @Sol.Luna_Xi
A Facebook Livestreamer, often live at the protests. https://www.facebook.com/arextacojohnson
Other livestreamers and accounts that have been active worth following:
⇒ DEFUND the Portland Police Bureau
Immediately and substantially reduce the budget of the Portland Police Bureau. Commit to never voting for police budget increases again.
Immediately reduce PPB’s budget by $50 Million for FY2021. Reduce the size of the police force now.
• As a City Council member, commit to never again vote for a PPB Budget increase.
Along with an overall cut, budget reductions must include:
• Defund Transit Police, which is part of the militarization of our public transit system. End any participation of PPB in Trimet fare enforcement or the escalation of fare violations with additional charges.
• Defund the Gun Violence Reduction Team, formerly known as the Gang Enforcement Team, which is still dedicated to over-policing Black Portlanders.
• Defund SERT, which brutally represses peaceful protesters with chemical and ballistic weapons, as we’ve seen so acutely on display in response to demonstrations over the murder of George Floyd.
• Divest City of Portland Cannabix Tax funds from the PPB budget and invest them into reparations for those harmed by the War on Drugs, which disproportionately targeted BIPOC communities.
⇒ REINVEST in Black futures!
We are in the midst of a health, social, and economic crisis that is having its most devastating impacts on Black, Indigenous, and Brown communities. We must protect and expand community-led health and safety strategies. We must keep our people housed and get our people housed. We must resource the basic needs of Black and African immigrant/refugee community members, right now!
• Invest in a community-centered health and safety model that is developed in strong partnership with community partners.
• Listen to past recommendations! For decades, community partners have been offering wisdom on how to ensure our communities can thrive. Addressing the health and safety of Black, Indigenous, and Brown communities means prioritizing these solutions.
⇒ PROTECT our communities from violence!
We elect you as leaders, including the police commissioner, to enact the public will. You must do everything in your power to compel police to stop their violence against our communities now, while we work to abolish police entirely. We cannot envision and realize alternatives to our current police state if we do not begin the conversations about what a healthy and just community-centered approach requires. We need the Portland government to begin those measures NOW:
• Pledge that Portland will never participate in the Joint Terrorism Task Force.
• Ensure that all personnel at PPB are complying with Sanctuary from ICE.
• Stop all sweeps of camps that shelter houseless people and the expansion of sit-lie regulations.
• Stop the militarized response to protest. Stop using rubber bullets, teargas and flashbang grenades at protests.
• End the City’s attempt to remove PPB from the DOJ Settlement and accept external oversight for decades of civil rights violations.
• Establish open collective bargaining with police unions during the contract renegotiation, including community groups as a party to the negotiations. Limit collective bargaining negotiations to wage and salary related matters.
• Give community oversight meaningful power in disciplinary actions and dismissal of officers. Adequately establish and fund citizen oversight and require police contact data to be collected correctly and reported to the Auditor’s office.
Groups to Support
The Portland General Defense Committee is a 103-year-old group started to defend workers facing legal attacks for their political beliefs by providing legal aid, according to its website. Today, the organization has broadened its focus to community organizing and direct action. So far they have raised more than $700,000 for bail support for ongoing support.